Boko Haram militants yesterday, Sunday, kidnapped the wife of Cameroon’s vice prime minister and killed at least three people in a cross-border attack involving more than 200 assailants in the northern town of Kolofata in Cameroon.
The home of Vice Prime Minister Amadou Ali in Kolofata came under a savage attack from Boko Haram militants during which his wife was unfortunately taken away. At least three people were killed in the attack.
The incident was the third Boko Haram attack in Cameroon since last Friday. At least four soldiers were killed in the two previous attacks.
Last Friday, about 22 suspected Boko Haram militants who had been held in Cameroon’s northern hub of Maroua since March were sentenced to prison terms ranging from 10 to 20 years. It is still not clear whether the attacks were related to the sentencings.
Seini Boukar Lamine, a local religious leader, or lamido, who is the town’s mayor, and five members of his family were also kidnapped in a separate attack on his home same day.
Boko Haram has stepped up cross-border attacks into Cameroon in recent weeks, murdering and stealing with impunity despite military efforts to clamp down on its insurgency. Cameroon has deployed troops to its northern region, joining international efforts to combat the militants.
On Sunday also, a bomb attack on a Catholic church in Kano’s Sabon Gari district, a mainly Christian area of the city, the largest in northern Nigeria’s main city of Kano, killed five people and wounded eight. The attacker threw the bomb at worshippers on their way out of the church. The police suspect an IED (improvised explosive device) was thrown from across the road. Christian churches have been a preferred target for the militants.
Also in Kano on Sunday, a woman suicide bomber blew herself up outside a university after police prevented her from carrying out an attack, injuring five officers, Mba said. It was discovered that she had hidden something underneath her hijab and she detonated the bomb before a female officer could be found to frisk her.
The worsening violence on Sunday prompted Kano’s emir to cancel Eid festivities – marking the end of the holy Muslim month of Ramadaan – which were due to begin today.
Boko Haram has killed thousands of people, including more than 2 000 civilians this year, since the extremist group started a bloody insurgency to establish an Islamic state in the mainly Muslim north of Nigeria in 2009.
No fewer than 30 persons were killed yesterday when gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram insurgents unleashed mayhem on some communities in Hong and Gombi local government areas of Adamawa State. Also, the village head of Zar community, Dauda Daniel, a retired Wing Commander was also feared missing following the attacks. At least nine natives of Zar community were killed in the attack that occurred in the wee hours of yesterday.
It was gathered that the worst affected community was Mubeng where about 20 persons were reportedly butchered by the gunmen.
A survivor, who simply gave his name as John, said many of the people in his Lubeng community were able to escape before the rampaging gunmen got to their village. He said the casualties were mainly children and the aged, who could not flee their homes before the invaders got to their community.
Today, Monday, at about 10:00am, another suicide bomb went off at Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation NNPC Mega Filling Station at Hotoro Quarter along Maiduguri Road, Kano. A suicide bomber suspected to be a female had slipped into the crowd of citizens buying kerosene at the Station before detonating the explosives. The suicide bomber and three others have been confirmed dead, eight persons were injured and have since been rushed to the Hospital.
Like that wasn’t already enough, slightly before 2pm today, another bomb went off at the Trade Fair Complex on Zoo road near the popular Shoprite mall in Kano. The bomb was allegedly set off by a female suicide bomber aged about 18, killing herself and injuring 6 others.